Monday, July 16, 2012

How did Ellie Mack's characters come to be in Kiss of the Dragon?


               Before Ellie takes the floor, I'd like to thank her for being a guest on my blog today! Sometimes it's difficult, and sometimes it's easy to build our characters and name them. See how it was for Ellie...

                Have you ever had a complete stranger walk up to you and start a conversation?  There was no handshaking or introductions.  My characters for Kiss of the Dragon just “popped” on the scene as if they were in their own homes. An inspirational spark struck, and the two main characters showed up and started conversing.  A few of the supporting characters wandered in here or there, but some had blurry features.  A few stood off to the sides like cardboard cutouts. 
                My female lead showed up in her masquerade costume carrying on about some painting.  I had to listen for a few minutes before I made sense of it as she was babbling what seemed to be nonsense.  About the time that I figured out what she was going on about, she passed out from a severe headache.  Nice!  We need a medic here!
                Then Bran, Lord Zanathrus’ younger brother saunters on the scene stark naked. GAH!  Talk about getting a girl’s attention!  I couldn’t help but admire his physiche; he was built like a Greek statue, only better!  He had a pompous air about him; and swagger that said “I’m sexy and I know it!”
                Zane was off to the side, silently watching, waiting, observing.  I could feel the power rolling off him, the intense sexuality that raised the temperature in the room at least ten degrees.  As I fanned myself I dared to engage him in a discussion.  He is totally hot, brilliant, charming, but above all sincerely a good guy.  Oh don’t get me wrong, he can be a bad boy when he wants to but he has a good heart and is a good leader of the green dragon sept.
                When the mage wandered in bumping into the furniture, knocking off trays of food, causing the platters to hit the floor I knew it was a party!  A comical genius that in some ways reminded me of Robin Williams but much older, Eldwyn Bede was the life of the party.  He is a burr under Merryk’s saddle, but Merryk has  many issues!
                I must confess that before the party was over Merryk and Bran both bent my ear to tell their tales.  Those will come in the second and third books of my Dragon Lords series.  There just isn’t room in the first one.  Merryk has a thing for Isabelle.  From the first he takes on this fatherly role, wanting to protect her.  Merryk has loved and lost.  His mate is gone because of Eldwyn Bede, and if it weren’t for the oath he’s taken to Zane he would have already killed the mage.
                Bran did put his clothes on – slowly, putting on quite a show.  What can I say?  It’s a trip to party with dragons!  Bran had to make certain that he’d impressed every female in the room before he stretched out on the sofa then summoned one of the servant wenches to fetch his clothing.  The fact that my conversation with the servant may have delayed his dressing is irrelevant.
                Have you ever had your characters show up fully formed demanding you tell their story?  This was a first for me. Usually, I have to slowly get to know my characters before they ever reveal their faces.  It can be like a game of twenty questions just to get their names.  Not this time!  They crashed my home with their wild dragon party and I was captivated.  Or did Eldwyn put a spell on me when I laughed at him for spilling the hors devoures?  Hmmm, now that I think about it . . .  Eldwyn? 

                Wouldn’t you know it, he’s suspiciously quiet.
                Do your characters ever come to you and demand you tell their story?  Sometimes they can be quite the divas.  There have been times when I wrote several scenes before I noticed that my leading man is leaning against the wall refusing to participate. I’ve learned to listen because their story is usually so much better than what I was trying to force. 
                This is not the usual way my characters develop.  This cast showed up ready to party. It’s been a challenge to keep up with them.  The only elusive one of the bunch was Sir Erick.  He left a cardboard cutout standing against the wall in the shadows.  I think somehow he had a bug planted on it, or a camera.  He was there, but he’s elusive.  He was the most tight-lipped of the bunch, with good reason.  He doesn’t play well with others and has his own agenda.
                Where do your characters come from?  Do they show up like vague shadow outlines or fully formed individuals with their own personalities?  I’ve had both extremes and everything in between.  Most of the time, I have to play guess who or twenty questions before getting any facial features.  Not with dragons, they are loud and proud and in your face from the start.  Next time they bring their party, I’ll give you a call.


Ellie Mack lives in a small town near St. Louis, Missouri. She graduated from Southeast Missouri State University with a BS in geography/cartography. She has worked for Department of Defense, county government, as a substitute teacher, and various other jobs.  Her hobbies include reading, bicycling, playing Tombraider, and Dance games such as Dance Dance Revolution, and Zumba. Between being a mother to two teenage girls, a wife, homemaker, and a mortgage loan officer, Ellie writes paranormal romances.
Ellie’s first erotica piece is appearing on http://storytimetrysts.blogspot.com/

*********************************************************************************

What did you think about Ellie's blog? I thought it was great fun to read! 
How do you name things/pets/characters? Do the voices in your head help you? Do you do research? Do you name them after people you know? Let us know in the comments below. Ellie and I would love to chat with you!

Thanks for stopping by!



1 comment:

  1. Rllie, you crack me up. I can't wait to read this novel and meet your crazy cast. :D

    ReplyDelete