Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Marketing Sucks

Having to market my own books really sucks! Just thought I'd throw that out there, but those of you who market yourselves already know this. I go through either one extreme or another. I either promo a ton (which I'm sure my followers get sick of me during this time), or I don't promo at all.

If I'm writing I don't promo, if I'm not writing I promo. Simple as that, right?

Not really. Sometimes I'm not writing because I'm marketing. It's not fair, I begin to resent the fact that I have to do this, what seems like a chore, and having it take away from my creative time. But it's a must to survive in this world. My stats prove it to me. Every. Single. Time. When I don't promote my sales drop. I market myself, they rise. Simple as that.

During the month of August, I participated in the Sizzlin' Summer Book Bash thrown by MKSP, and part of the event was to discount my books. I planned one month in advance. Contacted all the promo sites that would take erotic romance and asked them to run my ad on the dates of the Book Bash. I contacted blogs, and blogged myself about the event, and discounted prices. I set up a schedule on HootSuite to tweet about the event and the sales. I asked people to spread the word. I did what I could, and what I knew how to do. It was a lot of work, very time consuming, but I sucked it up and made the best of it.

Know what? August was my best month EVER in sales (except when I gave my books away for free), but my current WIP's took a serious hit for it. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

What are some of the least time consuming ways you've found to market/promote yourself?

*****

Oh wait, while I have you, let me promo myself...
 Laci Paige on Amazon


Bio:
Above all else, Laci enjoys spending time with her family. She and her husband support their children on the soccer pitch and off. Laci enjoys the outdoors, and of course reading and writing (and chocolate). Their family lives in Hampton Roads.






Places on the internet you can find Laci:









3 comments:

  1. Great post Laci, I feel exactly the same, damned if you do, damned if you don't, I wish at times I could spilt my body in three, one do the day job, one promote and the other write, not a hard request... is it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. It's so frustrating at times. And I'd be happy just to split into two! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I hear ya! I do it, but doesn't mean I can't complain LOL.

    ReplyDelete